The following are examples of publications that have received Trust support.
Official SOE Histories
May 2014 sees the publication of Dr Roderick Bailey’s Target: Italy – The Secret War against Mussolini (Faber & Faber). Commissioned by the UK Cabinet Office, this is the official history of the war waged by Britain’s Special Operations Executive against Mussolini’s Fascist Italy. Support from the Trust assisted Dr Bailey with research in Italy and the United States.
Funding from the Trust also supported the preparation of Professor David Stafford’s official history of SOE operations in German-occupied Italy, Mission Accomplished: SOE and Italy 1943-45 (The Bodley Head, 2011).
A series of official histories of SOE have reached publication since 1966. Professor M.R.D. Foot’s seminal SOE in France was the first. Other volumes have examined SOE’s work in the Far East, Scandinavia and the Low Countries.
Other publications that have received assistance from the Trust:
- Continuing contribution to the development of the Library at the Special Forces Club.
- Translation grants for Rod Baileys’ Albanian publication of “The widest province: SOE in the Land of the Eagle”
- Dr Rob Johnson University of Oxford grant to assit the production of a new volumn about T e Lawrence of Arabia his idea on warfare, the way in which both his ideas and image have been instrumentalised since conclusion of his war in the desert
- The Trust provided financial support for the publication of Professor W.J.M. Mackenzie’s Cabinet Office history of SOE. Written originally in 1946, it was finally published in 2000.
- Dr Roderick Gildea (University of Oxford) “A Transnational Approach to Resistance in Europe, 1936-48″ currently being researched.
- Dr Tony Insall- a research project being undertaken leading to the publication of a book which will reappraise Anglo-Norwegian resistance cooperation during the Second World War.